Every couple should have a checklist before they make such a powerful commitment. Ask yourself and your mate these questions to make sure you are fully prepared.
1. What do I see that I am not looking at in the relationship?
2. Am I prepared to weather every climate of my marriage?
Marriage has seasons. Sometimes the climate can be hot, and sometimes cold for any number of reasons.
You can’t pack up and move to another state because you’re under a tornado watch. You must have the love and determination to weather the storm.
3. Is this person qualified and equipped to be a spiritual leader in our home and a spiritual role model for our children?
4. Are we financially prepared for this move?
5. To what extent have we proven to be willing to sacrifice our own personal desires for our spouse?
6. If the person was married before, or involved in a previous serious relationship, what specific steps have they taken to deal with the issues that caused the break up and heal their broken heart?
Fear of Commitmen
Mistreatment of mate
7. Do any family, friends, children or exes pose a threat or intrusion into our relationship?
If so, how will we deal with it?
Do we have individual concrete plans on how to deal with intrusive external relationships?
8. What is my mate’s work ethic?
9. Does my mate communicate to me regularly in my love language?
10. Are we emotionally mature enough to make a lifelong commitment at this time?
11. Are we spiritually mature enough to know that we have heard from God concerning marriage at this time, with this person?